Search This Blog

Wednesday 13 April 2016

Who have no certain roof but the coffin-lid

"When such as me, who have no certain roof but the coffin-lid, and no friend in sickness or death but the hospital nurse, set our rotten hearts on any man, and let him fill the place that parents, home, and friends filled once, or that has been a blank through all our wretched lives, who can hope to cure us?"
Nancy. Oliver twist.

"I am chained to my old life. I loathe and hate it now, but I cannot leave it. I must have gone too far to turn back ..."
Nancy. Oliver twist.

 “Nancy,” a pencil study by Charles Pears for Oliver Twist (1912).

The evocative drawing of Nancy complete with wanted poster declaring a one-hundred pound reward, a shadowy, murderous male, and a degraded young woman.

'The most curious item in the entire surroundings is a large placard posted on the walls of the next house to one where the murder (Mary Kelly) was committed, offering in the name of the ILLUSTRATED POLICE NEWS, a reward of £100  for the discovery of the diabolical assassin.' Illustrated Police News 17 November, 1888

No comments:

Post a Comment