Search This Blog

Saturday 16 April 2016

Mary Kelly facial reconstruction



I’ve never looked at the images of Mary Kelly post-mortem. I’ve seen them, of course, but never studied her face with an artist’s eye. I’ve finished my book (first draft) based on Mary, and used a portion of that time, allotted to writing, to fiddle with Photoshop. My curiosity over her appearance has grown with my research. She was a woman of striking appearance – Walter Dew (Metropolitan Police officer) recognised her amongst the thousands of women selling themselves on Whitechapel’s streets. Whether we would find her a beauty, is questionable. Fashion and perceived attractiveness change through history. A clue to her features, and what the Victorians found pleasing, is to look at the actresses of the period.
In my imagination, I formed an impression of her features. I wondered whether it was possible to reconstruct Mary Kelly’s face without using a substitute head and without distorting and displacing the original remains. I tried to understand what I was looking at and in that awareness I realised the horror of the wounds inflicted on her face. Those peculiar vertical marks (resting on her right cheek) are her nostrils and septum – the flesh of her nose. 


3 comments:

  1. I think she was beautiful - the most beautiful of all of the Ripper's victims. I am convinced the Ripper was in fact a surgeon and he most likely vivisected on animals. He saw these poor women, the victim of circumstances, as unimportant as his animal victims and simply performed experiments on them. I am sure they are happy in the spirit world and this man, whoever he was, had his kama returned to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that the Ripper was part of the establishment and a member of the Masonic Lodge and they all covered up for him. In fact if you examine the Lord Lucan case, where all his upper class friends covered up for him, it is the same pattern. I read a book by a medium who said that he saw an image of the Ripper go to a building with black and white tiles, which seemed to be part of a Masonic Lodge. The Ripper was interviewed in the afterlife by a medium and claimed to have been a surgeon who experimented on these women for medical reasons. Remember, those who performed experiments on animals did the same to those in the concentration camps. Once desensitized to the pain and suffering of animals, it was easy to move to human victims who were deemed worthless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Kelly was considered a beauty so it was tragic that the only image left of her was her destroyed face and body. I am glad that she has been given her beauty back and we have another image of her of how she looked in life before her life was tragically taken.

    ReplyDelete