Search This Blog

Monday 6 March 2017

It's personal

I researched my family tree and discovered an assortment of colourful and monochrome characters. My Irish great-grandmother travelled to England and married an Englishman who divorced her for drunkenness, aggression, and adultery. After her marital breakdown she drifted south, arrived in London in 1881, and remained in the same area, Whitechapel, until 1891. After that, I lose her. She doesn’t appear in the death records or the census. Perhaps she returned to Ireland . . . It seemed an easy sojourn from researching my ancestor and the area in which she lived (Mile End Road) to Jack the Ripper. My relative followed the same sad course of many Ripper victims. Divorced or widowed women who drifted from doss to doss house and earned money where and how they could. I wondered what it was like for her, sharing the years and cobbles with a serial killer.
1901: Registered she's listed in the census as a pauper, hawker Mile End Old Town.
Update : Found her. Her death registered Whitechapel, March 1903.

No comments:

Post a Comment