Search This Blog

Monday 14 March 2016

Synchronicity

Synchronicity is a concept, first explained by psychiatrist Carl Jung, which holds that events are "meaningful coincidences" if they occur with no causal relationship, yet seem to be meaningfully related.
I’m not a great one for looking for signs and symbols. I don’t think Jack the Ripper, raised a leg to denote Masonic rituals, or Kelly survived the attack and was involved with the future King. The hacking of the women’s bodies was just that, a frenzied attack from a man that had lost control because of damage sustained to his frontal lobes.
But here is a peculiar thing, as per Jung. I, nearing the end of my book on Mary Kelly and working out the design for the cover, decided I’d paint a picture.
I have had a couple of old canvases knocking about for ages. Anyway, I painted an image of Miller’s Court on one of the pair of canvases. Just to say I haven’t destroyed anything precious, a particular muddy, amateur, Victorian pair of landscapes.
Painting finished, bar the moody glow from a gas lamp. I flip over the canvas and Windsor and Newton, Rathbone Place  is stamped on the reverse. The canvas is datable because of this mark to pre 1886. This address is adjacent to Cleveland Street, which I’ve written about in my book, and a mere hundred yards from where Mary Kelly and Bridget Kelly lived.
They could, in 1886, have passed the shop where this prepared canvas was once for sale.


No comments:

Post a Comment