Search This Blog

Saturday 5 March 2016

Jack jump up and kiss me

Damask Rose and a Purple-and-Blue Wild Violet (Heartsease) and used to adorn the coffin of Mary Kelly.
The synonyms of the flower are, I think, quite ironic in the circumstances:
Synonyms---Wild Pansy. Love-Lies-Bleeding. Love-in-Idleness. Live-in-Idleness. Loving Idol. Love Idol. Cull Me. Cuddle Me. Call-me-to-you. Jack-jump-up-and-kiss-me. Meet-me-in-the-Entry. Kiss-her-in-the-Buttery. Three-Faces-under-a-Hood. Kit-run-in-the-Fields. Pink-o'-the-Eye. Kit-run-about. Godfathers and Godmothers. Stepmother. Constancy. Pink-eyed-John. Bouncing Bet. Flower o'luce. Bird's Eye. Bullweed. Viola ref.

Meet me in the entry (entry an alley, especially of a covered passageway). Jack jump up and kiss me. Cull me and love lies bleeding. Those four phrases sum up Mary Kelly's death.

Mary Kelly sang, 'Only a violet I plucked from my mother's grave' just hours before she was slain.

Considering Mary Kelly's affiliation with violets, wouldn't it be a fitting gesture if someone sprinkled heartsease seeds about her grave ...


No comments:

Post a Comment