Search This Blog

Thursday 20 July 2017

Dr Crippen's Canadian court case.

On the 7th July, Mr. Thomas Wasson, your Prosecutor, caused an information to be laid before the Police Magistrate of the city of Toronto, against one Dr. Crippen, for breach of the Medical Act. Upon the case coming on, the witnesses were unable to identify Dr. Crippen as being the man who had diagnosed their ailments and prescribed for them the Munyon Homoeopathic Home Remedies. Not being able to obtain sufficient evidence to warrant a conviction in that way, I, having the conduct of the prosecution, called Crippen to the witness stand, and obtained from him the information thiat he had then in his employ, as representing the Munyon Company, Dr. Clark.

Thomas Wasson, the detective of the College, proved the service of a copy of the charges on Dr. Clark. Mr. Wasson also stated that one Crippen, an American doctor who had been in charge of the Munyon establishment in or about July, 1896, had been prosecuted by him in the Police Court for the illegal practising of medicine, Crippen not being a member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario ; that the charge was dismissed by the Magistrate because the defendant swore that he himself did not prescribe, but he had duly qualified medical men in the establishment, one of whom was the said Dr. Clark. That he paid a visit to the Munyon establishment and saw patients there.
D. H. Reid was the next witness. He said : I am an engineer ; I have been to the Munyon place of business ; I used some of Munyon's pills for la grippe and they seemed to do me a little good.

Their agent afterwards called on me and asked me to give him a testimonial, promising me if I would do so, that any time I wanted medicine, all I had to do was to cut the testimonial out of tlie paper and take it down to the office and I would get my medicine free. I afterwards cut the advertisement out and took it to the Munyon office, where I was told by the old gentleman in charge that they did not do business that way, and he would not give me any medicine without the money. In cross-examination the witness said that it was quite a while after the giving of the itestimonials that he went to get the medicine, probably two or three months, and that the man in the office was not the party who had promised him the free medicine.

In cross-examination the witness said that it was quite a while after the giving of the testimonials that he went to get the medicine, probably two or three months, and that the man in the office was not the party who had promised him the free medicine.

Ulrich Renaud, foreman in the Gendron Bicycle works, said : I went to No. 11, Albert Street, in June or July of 1896 in consequence of an advertisement I saw in the paper about Catarrh, with which I am troubled. The first time I went there was only one doctor, Dr. Crippen. The advertisement I saw said Munyon's was a sure cure for Catarrh. I made an arrangement with Dr. Crippen that I was to give $7 a month and he guaranteed a cure inside of two months. I paid the money in advance and continued the treatment regularly for two months. Dr. Clark treated me most of the time. I told Dr. Clark the last time I went that I was not cured, and that Dr. Crippen had guaranteed to cure me in two months.

He and the other doctor there had a talk together—I didn't hear what they said—and then Dr. Clark told me they wouldn't continue the treatment unless I paid one month more in advance. I told him I was getting worse instead of better, and I wouldn't pay any more money. I had already paid more than $18, The treatment I got from Dr. Clark was, there was a liquid injected through my nostrils down into my throat ; the treatment made my nose bleed every time, and it would sometimes continue bleeding for half an hour. They also sent a fume to my throat through my mouth ; it was not a liquid. The doctor said the cause of my nose bleeding was that the treatment was too strong and he would get something milder. My nose continued bleeding right along. That was about a month before I quit.

1 don't think the treatment became milder. I never signed a testimonial, but I saw one in the newspaper ; it was in the Telegram. I saw Dr. Crippen and told him about it, and that I never authorized him to use my name. Dr. Clark knew I had not been improved. The testimonials in the newspaper appeared under the ordinary Munyon heading. When I spoke to Dr. Crippen about the testimonials, he said, " When I asked you about how the medicine acted, you told me, all right.''
I had told him that the pains came and went ; that I might feel better to-day, but to-morrow they would be on again.
He said, " You may attribute this to the medicine."
I said, " I can't say, because I only took two or three pills out of the bottle.'
This was in the early part of the treatment. It was before I had made any statement as to being improved, that I saw this testimonial. The testimonial said that I had suffered very greatly with what the doctors called Sciatic Rheumatism, and that I tried several remedies but they did no good ; that I procured a sample bottle of Munyon's Rheumatism Cure, and to my great surprise the pain in my hip and limbs completely disappeared in three days, and that before 1 had used one-half,of the wonderful little pellets. That testimonial is a forgery. It is true 1 took the pellets, but it is not true about the effect of them. They did not do me any good. This testimonial was not true and I did not authorize it.
Under cross-examination by Mr. Lount, he said : I went there for treatment for Catarrh only. The only doctor I saw there was Dr, Crippen ; I made my arrangements with him. I didn't see Dr. Clark then at all.

Dr. Crippen told me the treatment would be eleven dollars a month, and guaranteed a cure inside of two months, I am sure he used the word  guarantee. That was not in writing. It was the first clay I went he said this. He did not make any examination of me. I told him the way I felt and how long I had it, that I had been troubled five or six years. I paid my money and took the treatment. I got an inhaler and some other instruments for the treatment. Dr. Crippen gave me only one treatment, the first treatment. I think Dr. Clark took me after.

There were other doctors there. I may have had one or two treatments from the other doctors but I know I had the biggest part of it from Dr. Clark ; that was towards the end. The money was paid to Dr. Crippen. I had no money dealings with Dr. Clark at all. Dr. Clark treated me as a gentleman. I can't say that I had Sciatic Rheumatism ; I had pain in my hips often. I described that to Crippen. I took the pills for the Sciatica. I told him about the pain in my hip and that the soreness was very great and made me quite lame. I did not say I had tried several remedies but they did me no good; I had never tried any remedies of any kind before for the Rheumatism except a hot bath. I wasn't any better after taking the pills. Dr. Clark used me like an ordinary doctor would. He examined me to find out what was the matter. He tried to learn my disease and ascertain a cure for it. He made a full examination by questioning me and to know my symptoms. I didn't find myself improved at the end of the two months. Dr. Clark did not give me a prescription to get medicine from some outside druggist; every time he gave me an order it was to get something from the girl outside.

Mr. Curran Morrison, Clerk of the Police Court, produced the record of the prosecution of Dr. Crippen.

Mr. Lount put Dr. Evans through a severe cross-examination and read several letters sent by Dr. Evans to Professor Munyon prior to the service of the notice of the investigation on Dr. Clark, which letters, Mr. Lount contended, showed a willingness on the part of the witness to aid the defence on certain conditions, which conditions, however, were not complied with, and Mr. Lount argued that this was the reason why he gave such strong testimony against the Munyon institution. Dr. Richard Hearn, a member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, and a homoeopathic practitioner, characterized the conduct of the defendant as being infamous and disgraceful in a professional respect He looked upon the prescribing of homoeopathic remedies by a regular practitioner who was ignorant of homoeopathy and of the component parts of the particular medicines prescribed as unprofessional, and said that he regarded the publication of the alleged cures by homoeopathic treatment when they had been procured a homoeopathic treatment as misrepresentation.

This shows how fairly the committee has dealt with the defendant. Dr. Clark. This advertisement (Exhibit 9) appeared immediately after the Police Court prosecution of Dr. Crippen (News, July 8th, 1896) :

No comments:

Post a Comment